1/2 lb Scallops
2 tb Fish sauce
3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Red Serrano chili, seeded and slivered
6 Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 Green onions, sliced 1-inch pieces
3 Lemon grass stalks, cut into
1/2 lb Small fresh shrimp shelled (shells reserved) and deveined
2 qt Chicken stock
2 Green Serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
1 ts Salt
4 Kaffir lime leaves julienne
Grated zest of one lime
Juice of 3 limes
1. Combine shrimp shells with stock, chilies, salt, lime, zest, lime leaves and lemon grass stalks in heavy pot.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 20 minutes.
3. Return liquid to pot and place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
4. Add shrimp and scallops and cook 1 minute.
5. Stir in fish sauce and juice of limes.
6. Add chopped cilantro, slivered red chili and shiitake slices, and green onions.
7. Stir and pour into a tureen or ladle into individual bowls.