4 cups of water
2 stalks fresh lemon grass, trim off the very end of the root and smash with the side of a cleaver of chef's knife; cut into 1 inch pieces...
3 fresh kaffir lime leaves
3 slices fresh galangal root(smashed)
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
3/4 lb shrimps, medium to large size, shelled and de-veined; butterfly if desired
12 fresh Thai chili peppers, whole or 2 medium sized jalepenos, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.
2 Tbsp. roasted chili paste (nam prik pao)
1 (16 oz.) fresh straw mushrooms, cut into 4 pieces.
1 – 2 lime, squeezed
2 sprigs fresh coriander
- Bring water to boil over high heat in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, fish sauce.
-Add the shrimp, bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
- Add straw mushrooms. Boil for another 7 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through. ...
- Add Nam Prik Pao and chili peppers.
-Turn off the heat. Add the lime juice. Taste to adjust the seasoning, adding fish sauce to taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Thai fragrance rice.
(You can add tomato, if you like, but it's not our authentic recipe.)