1/3 cup sugar
2-3 tblsp water
4 cups (1 litre) milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Mix 1/3 cup sugar and 2-3 tablesppons of water and heat in a pan on medium until it turns dark golden brown (caramalised).
2. Pour the mixture in a baking dish and spread it on the bottom with a wooden spoon or spatula.
3. Beat together eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla essence in a big bowl.
4. Heat the milk and pour it in the above egg mixture while stirring constantly.
5. Pour the milk and egg mixture in the baking dish containing the caramelised sugar.
6. Put the baking dish in a shallow roasting tray containing 1 inch water.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 300 degrees Farenheit for 1-½ to 2 hours. Check with a knife. If knife comes out clean, the pudding is ready.
8. Take the dish out of the oven, let it cool, then put in the refrigerator.
9. Just before serving, separate the sides of the pudding from the baking dish with a knife. Take a flat dish with slightly raised ends, put it onto the baking dish, and turn the pudding over onto the baking dish while keeping the serving dish in place.